Thursday, October 9, 2014

Did Christopher Columbus really discover America?

    "Christopher Columbus sailed the ocean blue in 1942" is a rhyme we are all familiar with. I remember learning about Christopher Columbus in school as the hero who discovered America. I remember coloring the Nina, the Pinta, and Santa Maria. I remember the bearded-face man glued to a popsicle stick for us to honor. We celebrate this federal holiday, Columbus Day, on the second Monday of every October. Around this time of year, teachers are preparing a lesson on how to explain the story behind Columbus Day. After researching the truth behind the explorer Columbus, I have decided that as a teacher I will not continue this on-going misconception. Of course, I will not deny my students of tradition. I will teach the facts and celebrate the discovery of our country. Then I will dig deeper into the truth behind Christopher Columbus and explain the controversy this holiday has created. I will explain the Native American point of view as well so my students can see every perspective. I will leave them with the option to choose what they believe is right. Columbus Day is a holiday intended to celebrate the anniversary of America's discovery. Semantically speaking Columbus did not discover the America's, but his arrival did mark the beginning of a new era. This holiday is not meant to celebrate the life of Christopher Columbus and his actions.
    At first I felt uneasy about the idea of changing a lesson that has been drilled into our heads for generations. But I have learned that the world is changing and it is important for teachers to keep students up to date. This may mean straying from traditional lessons and raising questioning to things we once thought certain of. For example, my parents read the same novels that I did in high school such as The Great Gatsby and To Kill a Mockingbird. These are great and classic stories, but over the years there has been so many new and remarkable novels written that students should be exposed to. We need to stay current with our education. We were not being lied to about Christopher Columbus, we just lacked more knowledge of the man. Historians and researches presented us with the truth and now we are forced to take this into consideration when teaching our students.









No comments:

Post a Comment